Long before there were “selfies,” famous photographers were taking self-portraits as a form of artistic expression. And you thought you were the selfie master? Oh snap!
In these self-portraits by well-known photographers, dating from the mid-nineteenth century to the 1980s, we can witness artists showing different sides of their identities in amusing, thought-provoking, and surprising ways.
Just take a look!
1. Nadar’s Revolving Self-Portrait, circa 1865.
2. Man Ray’s Self-Portrait with Camera, 1931.
3. Weegee, My Reflection in a 42nd St Movie Trick Mirror, ca. 1946.
4. “Portrait of the Artist as a Young Woman” by Berenice Abbott, circa 1930/distortion circa 1950.
5. “Untitled Film Still #3” by Cindy Sherman, 1977.
7. Danny Lyon. Self-Portrait, New York City, 1969.
8. Vivian Maier, Self-Portrait, 1956.
9. Sally Mann. Self-Portrait, 1973.
10. Ilse Bing, Self-Portrait with Leica, 1931.
11. Imogen Cunningham, Self Portrait on Geary Street, 1958.
12. Lee Friedlander, Haverstraw, New York, 1966.