The Brooklands Automobile Racing Club was formed in December 1906 and held its last ever meeting in August 1939 with the outbreak of World War Two. When peace returned, despite people’s high hopes, the anticipated recovery costs were too high and due to the demise of Brooklands at the time, the club was amalgamated with the Junior Car Club. Come 1949 the Club changed its name to the British Automobile Racing Club and took up residence at Goodwood Circuit.
Initially, women were banned from racing, this ruling, however, was loosened in 1908 and by 1920, female drivers were able to participate in both female and mixed races. In 1933, the Royal Automobile Club gave permission for women to drive at Open meetings on equal terms with men at Brooklands, which became the ultimate heyday for female racing drivers.
Take a look at these insanely cool women through 21 amazing photographs below:
Elsie Wisdom at Brooklands, 1930.
Kay Petre at Brooklands, March 1930.
Fay Taylour at Brooklands, 1930.
Violet Cordery, 1930.
Miss J Alwynne, a motor mechanic at Brooklands race course, July 1931.