The automotive industry in the Soviet Union spanned the history of the state from 1929 to 1991. It started with the establishment of large car manufacturing plants and reorganisation of the AMO Factory in Moscow in the late 1920s–early 1930s, during the first five-year plan, and continued until the Soviet Union’s dissolution in 1991.
1961 Gaz M-21 Volga. Second Generation (1958-1962)
Before its dissolution, the Soviet Union produced 2.1-2.3 million units per year of all types, and was the sixth (previously fifth) largest automotive producer, ranking ninth place in cars, third in trucks, and first in buses.
Soviet industry exported 300,000-400,000 cars annually, mainly to Soviet Union satellite countries, but also to Northern America, Central and Western Europe, and Latin America.
These vintage pics from Andrezj Maczulski that show cars of the Soviet Union from between the 1950s and 1970s.
1955 Gaz m20 “Pobeda”. 3rd Generation (1955-1958)
1955 Zis-127 “Moskva”. 1st Generation (1956-1960). The First Soviet Coach