Talbot or Clément-Talbot Limited was a London automobile manufacturer founded in 1903. Clément-Talbot’s products were named just Talbot from shortly after introduction, but the business remained Clément-Talbot Limited until 1938 when it was renamed Sunbeam-Talbot Limited.
Soon after the end of the First World War, Clément-Talbot was brought into a combine named S T D Motors. Shortly afterward, S T D Motors’ French products were renamed Talbot instead of Darracq.
In the mid-1930s, with the collapse of S T D Motors, Rootes bought the London Talbot factory and Antonio Lago bought the Paris Talbot factory, Lago producing vehicles under the marques Talbot and Talbot-Lago. Rootes renamed Clément-Talbot Limited Sunbeam-Talbot Limited in 1938, and stopped using the brand name Talbot in the mid-1950s.
The Paris factory closed a few years later.
Ownership of the marque came by a series of takeovers to Peugeot S.A., which revived use of the Talbot name from 1978 until 1994.
Here is a small collection of rare photos that shows the process of producing Talbot car in the early 1930s.
|1930s view of Barlby Road test shop with vehicles ready for delivery|
|Barlby Road unit shop in 1932. Engines being assembled individually on rotating stands|
|Barlby Road test shop in 1933|
|Three magnificent Talbot racing cars designed by the brilliant Swiss engineer Georges Roesch and built in Barlby Road was taken in a well-known part of London in 1934|