Franz Fiedler (1885–1956) was a German photographer was regarded as an eccentric during his apprenticeship in Pilsen, and worked in 1905 and again in 1912 with Rudof Dührkoop in Hamburg, and from 1908 to 1911 with Hugo Erfurth in Dresden.
At the 1911 world exhibition in Turin, Fiedler won first prize and had another exhibition in Prague in 1913. He belonged to the circle of Jaroslav Hašek and Egon Erwin Kisch and in 1916, married in Dresden where he occupied a studio at Sedanstraße 7.
In 1924, Fiedler became one of the first professional photographers to use a Leica. After expanding his studio in 1925, he took part in the exhibition “Film und Foto” in Stuttgart.
The outstanding publication on the city of Dresden, conceived in the spirit of Die Neue Sachlichkeit, is one of the first illustrated works created according to the new principles of photography. It marks a turning point in his work.
Fiedler’s studio was destroyed in 1945. All that was left was a box with photographs for exhibition which was deposited with his family in Moravia.
After 1945, Fiedler did not have his own studio and earned a living in the GDR as author of books on photography.
These surreal photographs Fiedler took a seductive lady dancing with skeleton around 1923.