Located at No.10, Hyde Park Place, a street off the Bayswater Road near Lancaster Gate Tube Station, this house alleged to be the smallest one in London. With the ground floor consisting of nothing more than an alleyway behind the front door and the first floor just a tiny bathroom.
Squeezed between two other buildings this house is 3 feet 6 inches (about one meter) wide. It was built in 1805, and was damaged by a bomb in 1941. Mr. Lewis Grant Wallace was the first and only tenant. One theory for its existence is that it blocked a public right of way to serve as a watch house overlooking the old St George’s graveyard – extremely popular with bodysnatchers in the 18th century!
The building is now occupied by nuns as part of Tyburn Convent, where it remains today. It kept its original appearance until recent times, when the facade was rebuilt in red brick.